A woman working at a Clarksville motel is accused of stealing a customer’s credit card information to feed her gaming habit.
A news release from Clarksville Police says an Illinois woman was staying at the Super 8 Motel in Clarksville on her way to Florida in November. She paid for her room using a credit card and didn’t know her card was being used repeatedly without her permission until she looked at her statement in March.
There were 42 fraudulent purchases totaling nearly 42-hundred dollars between February 1st and 17th. Police in Illinois were able to track the transactions back to 52-year old Belinda Blake of Clarksville.
Police say Blake used the card to play Facebook games such as Farmville and Cityville. The lone exception was when she purchased computer security software.
She reportedly admitted to making the purchases and admitted to using several other customers’ credit cards to make similar purchases.
Blake was charged with illegal use of a credit card and lodged in the Montgomery County Jail.
An excessive heat warning remains in effect through Monday and residents are reminded to take care of their pets’ needs in these record temperatures.
Christian County Animal Shelter Director Irene Grace says four-legged friends need a lot of the same accommodations humans do when they are outside—water and a shady spot to take a break.
Just as temperatures of over 100 degrees poses a danger to people outside, cats and dogs face that same threat if not treated properly.
Pet owners are also reminded to not leave their animals in a vehicle while going into a store, as the temperature can rise do dangerous levels very quickly and risk the life of the animal. Local police have already responded to several complaints of dogs locked in hot cars in recent days.
The Western Kentucky State Fair will get underway this afternoon with the always popular Miss pageant on the schedule.
The gates will open at 5pm and rides at 6, with rides a dollar each. A duck and goose calling contest will get underway at 6:30 at the livestock pavilion. The Christian County Trailblazer 4-H horse show will begin in the grandstand at 7pm, as described by organizer Roy Jordan.
A new Miss Western Kentucky State Fair will begin 7:30 in the convention center.
Organizer Carolyn Cobb says the winner will preside over the fair for the rest of this week and next.
There will be a 500-dollar drawing at the convention center at 9pm. The fair continues through next Saturday.
A small portion of south Christian County is under a boil water advisory.
The Christian County Water District says a utility contractor hit a six inch water main while working and that was reason to issue the boil water advisory for customers on Lafayette Road from Herndon to the Bennetstown Loop.
Director James Owen says chlorine levels remain good on that section of roadway, but they felt an advisory was warranted with the extremely hot conditions. The fax from the water district does not say when the advisory may expire.
Fire fighters worked to put out the blaze on Flowers Road/photo by Courtney Clark
It took nearly eight hours to get under control, but no homes were damaged in a massive field and forest fire that began on Lewis Road near Crofton Thursday afternoon.
The first call went out around 1pm of a fire near 1563 Lewis that reportedly began when a tree fell and knocked a power line down in a field. The blaze quickly spread in the dry conditions and Crofton and Mannington fire-fighters would receive assistance from almost every department in Christian County including the Hopkinsville Fire Department.
Fire-fighters from Todd, Muhlenberg and Hopkins Counties also assisted in addition to workers with the Kentucky Department of Forestry. The Pennyrile Parkway was shut down in both directions for several hours. before being re-opened around 12:45am.
The blaze jumped all four lanes of the parkway, but fire-fighters got the new flames put out before they spread very far. Christian County Sheriff’s Captain Chris Miller said no homes were damaged by the blaze thanks to the hard work of the dozens of men and women who worked in extreme heat.
Flames got as close as 100 yards from a Flowers Road home, but they were stopped put out before making it to the structure.
Captain Miller said crews were mainly working on dousing hot spots by 9pm—some eight hours after the fire started.
The Red Cross, Christian County Rescue Squad and North Christian Community Emergency Response Team all assisted in the response.
One volunteer fire-fighter was overcome with heat early in the afternoon and required a trip to Jennie Stuart Medical Center, but he would be okay.