South West Kentucky Economic Development Council Executive Director Mitch Robinson is making the rounds of city and county governments gathering support for General Assembly legislation that would bring Tennessee Valley Authority money back to local communities.
Instead of traditional property taxes, TVA pays an in-lieu-of-tax payment to approximately 30 Kentucky counties that have TVA facilities or infrastructure. About 70 percent of that money currently stays in the county where the property is located, but the other 30 percent is given to the state for the General Assembly to spend how it sees fit.
Robinson says legislation proposed by State Representative Wilson Stone of Scottsville would ultimately mean the 30 counties would receive about $200,000 each.
He says counties would have to use the money for economic development purposes and says Todd Fiscal Court could have used the money for its Career Path Institute project.
Robinson says the proposal is similar to the coal severance program, which only redistributes the money to counties where there is a coal mine or where coal trucks drive through.
Todd Fiscal Court approved a resolution in support of the legislation and Robinson says he will make the same presentation to Christian Fiscal Court and Hopkinsville City Council in the coming weeks.
Representative Stone says the money could be put to good use in the impacted communities, as the unemployment rate in the TVA counties was 8.6 percent in August, compared to 7.8 percent statewide.