The first date when AT&T was reportedly going to turn on 3G service to the city of Elkton has come and gone, but a formal announcement on just when that will happen is expected Monday.
State Senator Joey Pendleton was told by AT&T officials this winter that 3G was going to be turned on March 1st, but was told a couple of weeks ago that the day was pushed back. Speaking at the regular Elkton City Council meeting Monday night, Elkton Mayor Nancy Camp said AT&T officials will be at the old courthouse on the square this coming Monday morning at 9:30 to announce when the town will have access to wireless broadband.
Council members and Elkton residents and businesses are anxious for the day to come when mobile devices and wireless hotspots will work there, but Mayor Camp says they’ll have to wait a little while longer as the switch will not be flipped Monday.
In other business, council accepted bids from Ricchuite Enterprises for Mowing Service and Cemetery Maintenance. That provider came in most expensive out of three bidders for Cemetery Maintenance at $38,160, but council was satisfied with their service and promptness in past years. The other two bidders were about 500 and 160 dollars less, respectively.
Council Member Danny Laster voted “no” to the bid for mowing service after a representative of the company angrily walked out of the meeting after Laster showed him photo evidence of what he described as mowing that wasn’t done on time last year.
A Marshall County Probation and Parole Officer is accused of official misconduct.
Kentucky State Police charged 29-year old Lance Warmath with 1st degree official misconduct following an investigation that he allegedly had illegal contact with a female, who was under the supervision of Probation and Parole officers.
The Marshall County Grand Jury returned an indictment on Warmath and was also served with a summons to appear before the Marshall County District Court on Wednesday, March 21st.
The investigation into the official misconduct remains ongoing and is being handled by Kentucky State Police.
Hopkinsville Mayor Dan Kemp says he hopes the state legislature will pass a smoke-free ordinance during this year’s session, but he’s prepared to propose a city-wide ordinance if that doesn’t happen.
The House Health and Welfare Committee was supposed to discuss a bill which would ban smoking in most Kentucky restaurants last Thursday, but State Representative Myron Dossett says that meeting never happened when Republican members didn’t show up in protest of Chairman Tom Burch not hearing a bill that would require welfare recipients to be drug tested.
Representative Dossett says this year’s ordinance has much more support than the one from two years ago, as it is more specific and can’t be construed to classify a place of employment anything down to a farmer on his own tractor.
Hopkinsville Mayor Dan Kemp says many states have already enacted laws banning smoking in most public places and that’s what he wants for Kentucky.
If that does not happen, Mayor Kemp vows to give an ordinance to City Council in April.
Just as Representative Dossett says it’s hard to say how the House would vote on state legislation, it’s also difficult to predict how council would come down on the issue. Mayor Kemp urged Hopkinsville residents to let their council-member know how they feel about going smoke free.
The local men accused of murder for a home invasion in Graves County last month appeared in court via video-teleconferencing this morning.
WPSD in Paducah reports 24-year old James Kirby and 40-year old Richard Phipps of Hopkinsville and 29-year old Edwin Russell of Elkton pled not guilty to shooting and killing Richard Jett and seriously wounding his wife during an alleged home invasion.
Phipps and Kirby are accused of going inside the home and shooting both victims, while Russell is charged with complicity to murder for allegedly plotting the plan, providing the gun and driving the others to the residence.
Russell reportedly once dated the Jetts’ daughter, who was at home at the time of the invasion along with her brother. Their presence warranted two counts of wanton endangerment against the suspects. Police say Russell told the others where they could find cash and guns in the house.
All four suspects accused in the January 30th armed robbery of A.C. Automotive were indicted by the Christian County Grand Jury Friday.
Indictments on robbery, fleeing from police and wanton endangerment were returned against 26-year old Christopher Walker, 24-year old Henry Jerome Brown, 23-year old Joseph Marshall Brown and 23-year old Justin Horstead.
Attempted assault of a police officer charges were tacked on for every suspect except Joseph Brown, who was allegedly the get-away driver. That charge comes from an alleged incident on I-24, when at least one of the suspects allegedly shot at an Oak Grove officer while attempting to get away.
Only Horstead remains at large, while the other three have been arrested and are in the Christian County Jail. Anyone knowing Horstead’s whereabouts is asked to contact the Crime Stoppers Tips Line at 887-TIPS, with a cash reward offered.