A teen was severely burned in Elkton Saturday night while allegedly attempting to make a “bomb.”
A news release from Elkton Police says the 14-year old male and some friends were attempting to make a homemade bomb using a gas can and a firecracker at an East Main Street residence around 9:20 p.m. Saturday.
The teen had placed the firecracker in the spout of the gas can and tried to light the fuse, when gas fumes on his hands became ignited, also setting off the “bomb.” The juvenile was taken to the Emergency Services building on South Main Street, where an Air Evac helicopter landed and took him to Vanderbilt University Medical Center for burns.
Officers went to the residence and found the empty gas can, the firecracker, an empty soda bottle smelling of gas and a cigarette lighter. No homes were damaged in the explosion and no charges have been filed. The teen's name will not be released, due to him being a juvenile.